Departure from the city of Cusco very early in the morning in one of our vehicles. We will cross interesting inter-Andean valleys and picturesque rural communities. At mid-morning we will visit the Pre-Inca Tombs of Ninamarca, known as “Chullpas” and then head to Paucartambo, a typical colonial town of great importance at that time and that still retains its flavor. Continuing the journey, we will ascend to the Acjanacu pass at 3,850 m.s. From here we start the descent through the Cloud Forest, an area very rich in endemic species such as the Spectacled Bear and Gallito de las Rocas, orchids, bromeliads, ferns, etc. Lunch on the route observing the nature and then continue until we reach our hostel Orquídeas de San Pedro where we will spend our first night comfortably installed.
Very early we will look for the interesting Cock of the Rocks, national bird of Peru, who has a striking red-orange plumage very intense; After breakfast we continue our trip by bus, crossing the high forest, arriving at the town of Pilcopata *, then to the port of Atalaya where we will have lunch, this place is located on the banks of the Alto Madre de Dios River, 700 meters from where we will start the descent by the river for approximately 50 minutes. We can observe the enormous diversity of existing bird species, such as herons, vultures, cormorants, etc. until we reach our Private Reserve “Erika” where we will walk through the interesting trails of this transitional point between high jungle and low jungle. Overnight at the hostel.
* 1 Optional free – Canoeing: From Pilcopata we will undertake a journey of approximately 1 hour and a half of canoeing (classes I and II) through the rivers Koñeq and / or high Madre de Dios, passing through the spectacular Pongo del Koñeq where we will stop to enjoy the landscape and take advantage of the moment to refresh in its crystal clear waters.
Erika is located in the Transitional Zone between High Jungle and Low Jungle (600 m.s. – 1,550 m.s.). After breakfast the guide will explain the different altitudes that give rise to different habitats, as well as the high diversity of wildlife in the surroundings. After lunch, we will board our boat in which we will sail for 5 minutes to cross the river Alto Madre de Dios and walk for 30 minutes approximately through an interesting trail to observe and talk about interesting flora such as sensitive plants, heliconias, fruit plantations, etc. . until we reach the Machuwasi lagoon where we will install the telescope to observe birds such as heron, tucanetas, crestirojo carpenter, bienteveos, cardinals, etc.
* 2 Optional free – Canopy tour: Our clients of Erika Lodge have the opportunity to go from tree to tree and from platform to platform using harnesses in a horizontal cable with a system of lanes with which they slide at great speed over the glass of the trees of this fabulous Amazon rainforest where you can see from the top the avifauna and other diversity of the area. Specialized personnel will help you at all times during this exciting experience and will explain everything interesting that is observed from the moment you leave the ground until you rappel down from 30 meters high.
Very early we will board our boat in which we will sail for 10 minutes to go to the Collpa, a clay wall of the river where different species of parrots such as the blue-headed parrot, white-eyed parrot and possibly the Maracano macaw (Ara severa) among others They go down every morning to extract and lick pieces of clay that contain the minerals necessary for their dietary balance. At the end of this daily activity we return to our hostel Erika after breakfast we board the boat to the port of Atalaya, where the bus that will take us back to the city of Cusco awaits us, we have lunch on the way arriving at night.
END OF OUR SERVICES.
SUGGESTED TEAM LIST
• Binoculars Camera
• Towel for the entire tour
• Swimwear and sandals
• Slippers, hiking shoes
• Flashlight with batteries and replacement bulbs
• Insect repellent (recommended with 40%)
• Implements personal hygiene, medicines for personal use
• Hat or cap, sunglasses, sunscreen
• Waterproof, light jacket, cotton pants
• Luggage backpack and small backpack
• Warm clothes in case of cold.
• Plastic bags, a bottle of water for the first day.