Home » Peru Travel Information
Peru Travel Information
Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was overthrown by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980.
Useful Information

Official Name

Republic of Peru




29 millions

Official Language

Spanish, Quechua and Aymara also spoken in places


Roman Catholic


Nuevo Sol

Dialling Code


 19°C / 66°F Cusco

 19°C / 66°F Arequipa

 19°C / 66°F Lima

Frequently Asked Questions about Peru

Welcome to our FAQ section. This page might be helpful if you haven't been able to find the information you needed on our website.
If you have further questions please contact us using the following section:

What are the visa and passport requirements for travel to Peru?

Citizens of most American and Western European countries are not required visa to enter Peru. Citizens of Bolivia, Ecuador and Chile do not require passports or visa to visit certain regions of Peru. Contact the Peruvian diplomatic representative in your country for further information. Addresses and phone numbers are included in the website of Peru's Ministry of Foreign Relations: www.rree.gob.pe If the purpose of your visit is tourism, the maximum length of your stay will be 90 days (you can apply for extensions with the immigration authority) All travelers must carry a valid passport, or a safe-conduct issued by the Peruvian immigration authority.

With a few exceptions, visas are not required for travelers entering Peru. Tourists are permitted a 30- to 90-day stay, stamped into passports and onto a tourist card called a Tarjeta Andina de Migración (Andean Immigration Card). Keep it – it must be returned upon exiting the country. The length of stay is determined by the immigration officer at the point of entry.
Carry your passport and tourist card on your person at all times, especially in remote areas (it’s required by law on the Inca Trail). For security, make a photocopy of both documents and keep them in a separate place from the originals.

How far in advance should I book a Peru tour?

When booking a Inca Trail Trek, we recommend that you book your tour 6 to 9 months in advance. For other Peru tours, we recommend 3 to 6 We recommend booking your tour before your international flight.

Can I extend my stay?

Yes. We offer many exciting extensions to suit the individual needs and interests of our passengers both in Lima and other areas from paragliding in the Sacred Valley to archeological tours. These trip extensions are described on our website. If you would like to discuss the options or arrange a trip extension on either end of your trip, please contact us.
Extensions can be obtained at immigration offices in Lima, Arequipa, Cuzco, Iquitos, Puerto Maldonado, Puno and Trujillo, as well as near the Chilean and Ecuadorian borders. Forms and information in English can be found online. For extensions, click on Foreigners and Extension of Stay. Cost is S12.25 for a right of paperwork and an additional US$20 for the 30-day extension. Two extensions are allowed per year.
Anyone who plans to work, attend school or reside in Peru for any length of time must obtain a visa in advance. Do this through the Peruvian embassy or consulate in your home country.

When is the best time to travel to Peru?
With three distinctive geographic zones, Peru can be enjoyed year-round though some activities are recommended at certain times over others. Trekking is best in the dry season, or mid-late April through early November. However, this is also the time of year when temperatures are the coolest and you may experience nighttime temperatures that are below freezing at very high altitudes. June, July and August are the most popular months to visit and larger crowds are not uncommon. In the Amazon regions, water levels and wildlife activity vary by season as well. The dry season offers the least number of days of rain/month and fewer mosquitoes. However each, season has its appeal. Talk to our Peru Program Director about your particular interests.

How will we be identified once we have arrived at the airport?
A uniformed and identified Tambo Peru Tours representative will await you at the international terminal reception area where you will be directed to go after collecting your luggage. The individual will be holding up a sign with your name or the group’s.

Once we have been contacted by the representative, will we have to show a coupon or voucher?
No, all you have to do is identify yourself. Our personnel will have the necessary documents on hand that list the services you have purchased, which helps avoid any uncomfortable situation and streamlines your arrival.

What type of assistance will I receive upon arrival?
International flights Tambo Peru Tours offers include a representative who will help you with your luggage, check to see if your entrance papers are in order, and hand you a document pack with a detailed itinerary, luggage tags, and other useful forms. Additionally, the individual will give you a brief introduction of the city, provide a concise summary of the program, and reiterate useful tips that will make your stay more comfortable.

Will I need to show a coupon or voucher for each service?
No. In order to serve you more efficiently, we have coordinated all services in advance, having sent all necessary coupons electronically to our suppliers as a means of avoiding loss, reducing unneeded printing (which is part of our environmental protection policy), and maximizing your experience by relieving you of that concern. So, just relax and enjoy the trip.

Why do I have to show my identification and immigration form when registering at the hotel?
When registering, you need to show your identification card or passport with the immigration stamp on it as well as your Andean Immigration Card so the hotel can make a copy of them; these will be used as supporting documentation to exonerate you from paying the 19% general sales tax. Our quotes do not include this tax to non-resident foreigners whose stay does not exceed 60 consecutive days.